Plus, you get to eat green food! And there are lots of awesome green foods - which we will explore now.
Instead of all that sugar-filled, unhealthy candy, why not make a plate of green fruits and veggies for a special St. Patty's Day treat?? What green fruits and veggies you ask? Well first of all, I gotta go with kale. Obvi. There's kiwi, green grapes, honeydew melon, green peppers, broccoli, zucchini, etc. Spinach rocks too. In fact, it rocks so much, that we made a special St. Patrick's Day treat with it.
Enter, the Vegan Shamrock Shake.
This shake puts those other non-vegan ones TO SHAME. Plus, it has less than half the calories, half the fat, none of the cr*p, and a lot of nutrients. With 2 cups of spinach (that you absolutely, positively cannot even taste), you've got calcium, protein, iron, etc. With the almond or soy milk, you've got your Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 (usually fortified), protein and calcium. With the ground flaxseeds, you've got your omega-3, omega-6 fatty acids, fiber and some protein. And with the banana, you've got your potassium, Vitamin C, and fiber.
So, yeah, needless to say, it's WAY better than the other cr*ppy Shamrock Shake. And it tastes AWESOME. We did add some Hershey's Dark Chocolate syrup (just for garnish) and Newman O's for fun - it's our St. Patty's Day "splurge." The cookies are totally vegan, made of more natural ingredients than Oreos, but still packed with sugar. Again, only for special occasions.
So go eat your greens, make an awesome Vegan Shamrock Shake on Sunday when you're hungover, and have a very Happy St. Patrick's Day from Project Kale.
And kiss me, I'm Irish-ish.
Love & Kale,
Vegan Shamrock Shake
Makes 1 large shake
- 1 cup almond milk (or soy milk, coconut milk, etc.)
- 1 frozen banana (peel, dice, put in a bag and freeze)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 Newman O's (natural mint oreos, basically)
- 2 ice cubes
- Hershey's Dark Chocolate Syrup (for garnish, optional)
- Place all ingredients, except ice cubes, in a blender (or Vitamix if you're lucky!) and blend until smooth.
- Add ice cubes, blend again until smooth.
- Line a glass with Hershey's Dark Chocolate Syrup and then pour in your shake. Drink, do a jig, and ENJOY!
|Add all ingredients in blender - blend until smooth!|
|YUMMY Shamrock Shake!|