So, we've been super busy with all this wonderful weather and P90x workouts (Ali for that latter), and feeling like I've neglected the blog.
So this was our special treat for our own Mother's Day. So if you're a mom, dog mom, or just a mushroom lover, treat yourself to something special with this recipe. Not as grueling as the butternut squash risotto, but still requires that constant stirring.
Oh but it's worth it.
Love & Kale,
Original Recipe here. I tweaked it a bit.
- 1 onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of asparagus, woody stalks removed and chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
- 16 oz. mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional - I didn't use it)
- 1 cup Arborio rice, uncooked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and asparagus and heat, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add mushrooms, thyme, salt, and white wine (if using), and heat until mushrooms are softened, another 3-5 minutes or so.
- Add rice and stir until rice is well coated and starts to make small snapping noises (like Rice Krispies). Add vegetable broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well, and allowing the rice to soak up all the liquid before adding more - this takes about 3-5 minutes or so each time.
- Once you've added almost all the broth, add the spinach, nutritional yeast, onion powder, lemon juice and the rest of the broth and stir until the spinach is wilted - 2-3 minutes.
- Taste, and add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice if needed. Serve immediately and ENJOY.
|Chop up your asparagus|
|Add in your veggies|
|Add in spinach and remaining broth|
|Lovely Mushroom Asparagus Risotto, in all its glory|