I came across a recipe for meatless balls. Now, I will tell you, this was not my first encounter with a faux ball. I've tried making a couple of meatless balls before, and they have turned out to be either too mushy or too flavor-less.
Well.....watch out vegan Goldilocks 'cuz I finally found one that was juuuuuuust right!
Not only are these yummy balls meatless, they are gluten-free too. They are firm, hearty and full of whole grains, flax seeds (for your omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, iron, vitamins, etc.), a few veggies, beans (for your protein and fat burning fiber) and some nutritional yeast (gives a cheesy flavor except unlike cheese, it's actually good for you - contains vitamin B12). Plus, the preparation was very easy and could be tweaked to any way you like it. I based this recipe off of this one found here.
These would be great at a Super Bowl party this weekend - make them in mini-muffin pans, reduce the cook time, and serve them with toothpicks and a bowl of warm marinara sauce.
This recipe is super kid-friendly and would even impress the most picky meat-eaters!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Yield: 12 big balls
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce (homemade or jarred - but if you're not Martha Stewart or a strict Italian, just use jarred like I did)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 2 15 oz cans of pinto or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup oats
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce or Bragg's Amino Acids
- 1-2 tbsp of vegetable broth (or water if you don't have any)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- A few sliced black olives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce with the ground flaxseeds. Stir to combine and set aside to thicken up.
- In a large bowl, mash the bean with a fork or potato masher (note - you don't want them over-mashed - leave them a nice, chunky texture).
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic, oats, soy sauce, broth or water, nutritional yeast, spices. Stir to combine.
- Add in marinara/flax mixture and stir until fully incorporated.
- Scoop bean mixture into muffin tin, filling almost to the top. Press each one gently to compact into the pan.
- Bake for 17 min, until edges are starting to brown. Remove from oven, top with a spoonful of marinara and a few slice olives (if you're using - they make me wanna barf so I didn't use them on mine).
- Return to oven for another 12 min, until they are firm and set.
- Allow muffins to cool for several minutes - they will firm up even more.
- Serve with pasta, or a salad and ENJOY!
|Ready for the oven|
|Those are some good lookin' balls right there! YUM!|