|Balsamic Pasta w/ Greens|
If you haven't ever made a balsamic reduction, you need to immediately. It is ridiculously easy and so very yummy. Balsamic vinegar is delicious, but very........well.........vinegary. However, when you simmer balsamic vinegar gently for a few minutes on the stove, it reduces into a sweet, yummy syrup.
Typically, I make a balsamic reduction as a dressing for spinach salad - which is literally just baby spinach, red onion, with a drizzle of balsamic reduction, and a touch of salt and pepper. So simple, yet so fancy.
The idea of using balsamic reduction as a pasta sauce was new to me - and a fabulous idea (wish I would've thought of it!). This recipe is the epitome of whole foods, plant-based. Brown rice pasta, balsamic vinegar, garlic, herbs, beans, greens - it doesn't get simpler than that.
Not to mention healthy with your whole grains, protein, fiber, calcium, iron, etc., etc. No fat, no weird ingredients. Just food. Healthy, lovely food.
Love & Kale,
Balsamic Pasta w/ Greens
Serves: About 4-6
Don't get freaked out if you don't think you have enough balsamic vinegar - a little goes a long way when it's reduced! Feel free to play with the recipe - use whatever herbs you like or have on hand! A squeeze of lemon and a little lemon zest would be fabulous!
- 1 lb brown rice pasta (or any other whole grain pasta)
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used white navy beans)
- 1 bunch of baby spinach or kale, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Few tbsp of basil, rosemary, oregano - whatever you want!
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Add spinach or kale in the last minute or cooking time. Drain and rinse.
- Reduce balsamic vinegar - simmer on med-low heat in a saucepan for a few minutes - until it's thick and a syrup-like consistency (it should be able to coat a spoon).
- Combine the vinegar reduction, herbs, minced garlic, pasta and spinach or kale. Serve and ENJOY!
|Spinach and kale|
|Drain and rinse your beans|
|Boil pasta, then add greens and boil|
|Reduce your balsamic vinegar|
|Not quite done yet....|
|Perfectly reduced - a syrup consistency|
|Toss everything in a bowl together...|